Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Be Assertive In Business

                                                                                  

I know that some people are business owners. Whether you are a publisher, writer, CEO of this or that. It's always pays well to be assertive when handling business. I wouldn't have it ANY other WAY! I used to be very nice and soft spoken when I started my business as a publisher and a writer. I have learned a valuable lesson, BEING NICE DOESN'T PAY THE BILLS!! Yes, I say this from my heart. Sometimes you have to be assertive and a "bitch" for things to run smoothly. If you can't stand for something you will fall for anything. I recently had to learn this valuable lesson on many accords with different people. There is nothing wrong with still being polite, but if people feel that they can take your kindness for weakness THEY WILL and don't let them! So, what do you have to do be more assertive? Here is a list of a few things I can think of. 

1. Let your yes be yes and No's be No's 
2. Always collect your money UP FRONT no ifs and or buts about it
3. Have the mindset that you don't play when it comes to business
4. Show up to meetings on time. Punctuality is important
5. Be clear, be stern, be consistent.

Those are just a few that came to mind. Why wasn't I practicing what I'm preaching? Good question! I used to live in a world ( of my own) that if someone seemed legit and fair, that's how they were. Whoa!!! Big reality check!!! When I would have dealings with other business professional or lacks there of, I started to see a pattern within myself. I noticed that I was too open to people, too kind with letting things slide, and if I felt you were a friend or had a good rapport with you, things would be easier also. BOY WAS I WRONG!! NEVER under any circumstances, treat your friend your doing business with, like a friend! Once business comes to play, friendship is out the window. I often don't work with many friends because if the business doesn't work out for what ever reason, the friendship doesn't either. So, I have learned quite a few lessons. I like to write my experiences to my readers so you guys can learn from my mistakes. But, make a point, I will make plenty more mistakes I'm sure, but   it won't be the same mistakes! Everyone will always learn lessons, what to do and what not to do. But, if you feel that you aren't learning and still are making the same mistakes, then it's time to step back, regroup, and evaluate yourself. It's nothing wrong that and you shouldn't be ashamed. There have been a couple times when I had to regroup and figure me out! In my opinion it's the best therapy. I recently had a school project where I had to take myself out on an artists date. On this date we are suppose to do something different that is out of norm, try something new. On my date, I took myself to dinner and ordered something I would never order. As I was walking into the restaurant, I looked at my surroundings. There were gorgeous statues, people talking on their cells, etc. When i got inside I looked at the menu. I knew I had to order something different. The waitress came over and gave me some ideas on what to order. I was assertive and told her what I was getting and she wrote it down and smiled. I told her that I was doing a project for school and she seemed more excited than I was. But, my point about my artist date was that sometimes you learn different things about yourself. Had I not been assertive and followed directions with the assignment, the nice Krystol would have came out and ordered one of her choices. Readers, I say to you, don't let others walk over you in business or your life period. Some people have a hard time saying no and other's say yes too often before they are giving their reward. There is nothing wrong with being nice to people, but also show them you are not to be toyed with. Be assertive, consistent, and stand your ground. No matter who it's with! 

2 comments:

  1. Good, solid advice. Thank you for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for commenting and reading! Have you ever had a time where you weren't as assertive as you should have been?

    ReplyDelete