Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hey Readers

I know that it has been a while since I blogged, but Im going to do this thing everyday from now on. A lot has changed since. I started my own publishing company, and two more books of mine came out. I thank God for the blessings that he has been showing me. I also previously moved to another area of town too. Let me tell you, that was hard work. Packing all over again and having to find someone move me. What a job! But, i am loving my new place, even though it only has ONE closet.What kind of one bedroom apt only has one closet. It's almost impossible to unpack, lol. Im grateful for the new beginnings  that I am experiencing. Having my own publishing company is one of them. I started Krystol Diggs Publishing, some time ago and I must say that I am glad that things are starting to pick up. Don't get me wrong it will be hard, but LOVE to help others who want to help themselves. When i tell people that I am a publisher they always say, " Man I've always wanted to write a book!" My response, " What's stopping you?" Then here comes the excuses one after another, "Oh well I work too much, or i have a family, or money is tight." Here is my answer to all of that, people will do what they want to do. An alcoholic  or drug addict will always make a way out of no way to get their fix, right? If someone really wants to write a book they will get the money that is needed to make that dream happen. It kills me when people say they don't have the money, but yet they will buy a car, or get a $200 hair style and still claim that they are broke. I just say that priorities need to be key and in the right place.  Sure, money is tight for some people, but we all, including me need to learn to save money for a rainy day or for the things the we really want.

Being an publisher can't be tough but being an author is even harder! We have to go out on the street to complete strangers and convince them to buy our books. This takes sales to a whole new level. When i have to do this, my palms get sweaty, throat starts to get dry and everything! When i approach someone I try to be positive, always smile, and deliver. I remember one day, I just had books in my hand, no table, or nothing. I did have my book marks and post cards. I was in the city of Charlotte, NC in the uptown area. I saw a girl sitting on the bench reading her book. I took a deep a breath, and this is how it played out:
" Hello, how are you?" I said.
" I'm doing fine." The lady responded.
Mind you she's already looking at me with my books in my hand and rolling her eyes.
Her body language is clearly saying," I'm not buying anything, so leave."
" Can i ask what book are you reading?"
She responded with her answer.
" Yes, i read that book, it's definitely a page turner. My name is Krystol and i'm an author. Here is one of my titles. Now, at this point her eyes are lighting up because she's captivated by the cover. I showed her, Sweet Innocence.
" This book looks good." She says.
" Thank you, it's a page turner like the one your reading." I said with a smile.
" How much?"
" $15 but for you $10."
I smile as i think she's about to purchase my book.
" Oh, I don't have any money right now."
In my mind i'm a little annoyed, the fact that she asked the price knowing she wasn't going to purchase the book.
" Oh okay, well here, take one of my book marks and post cards which gives you information to my website, mailing list, and places where you can purchase the book, once you have the money."
" Okay, thank you."
I walk off as she continues to read her book on the bench.
By this time i have given up and is heading home. It seems for some reason people I approach say the same thing and i'm not successful with paperback sales.
Readers what are your thoughts? What would you have done differently?
Now when I'm at a event and I have a table sales go well....

No comments:

Post a Comment