Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Paradigm( ScreenWriters Workbook)

The Paradigm is a blue of what your screenplay will look like. 
Act I- Beginning
Act II- Middle
Act III-End 
These three Acts DO NOT all have to be in the same order.

*Remember that the average length of a film is 2 hours long which makes the average screenplay 120 pages long. 
I write my screenplays in Final Draft. I know some people who use Word, or a program called Celtx. 
                             IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY INTERESTED IN WRITING A SCREENPLAY YOU SHOULD: 
1. Be reading ALL the scripts you can.
2. Watching every movie that you can afford.
3. Downloads screenplays for free. Some sites that have them are Simply Scripts.com or Dailyscripts.com. 
( I have googled a lot of scripts and have been reading them that way.)
Act I- Unit of dramatic or comedic action
Act II- Unit of action that begins at the end of Plot Point I and extends through the end of Plot point II. ( This portion of the script is apprx. 50-60 pages). 
Act II is about conflict and obstacles overcame. It's also a unit of dramatic action. Act II goes from the end of Plot point II. (Apprx. Pg.80-90 to the end of the screenplay.)
* Remember that resolution means solution.
Act I- Everything in Act I sets up your story.
A plot point is the story's progressive point.
Plot point I is the true beginning of your story. A plot point can be anything you want it to be as long as it moves the action forward.
Act II is the most difficult to write because it's the longest unit of action. 
The function of Plot Point II is to serve the story progression. 
Lije Plot point I, Plot point II can either be a decision, a line of dialogue, a scene or an action sequence-anything you want it to be. 
Act III deals with the context of resolution other wise known as (the solution), remember! 
                                                     Here are some questions to think about when filing out your paradigm sheet: 
1. What is the solution to your story?
2. Does your character live or die, sink or fail, go on a trip or not?
These are some of the questions to be answered during the writing process of your screenplay.

Now try this exercise!! YOU READY?? 
Before you express your story know these things: 
1. The Ending
2. The Beginning
3. Plot Point I
4. Plot Point II
These elements are the structural foundation of your screenplay. Once you know these four elements draw the paradigm. ( I provided that for you in the beginning of this blog.)
The exercise is designed to prepare you to structure your own idea so you can move into the next stage of your screenwriting process!! 

Okay guys now that you have learned about the beginning stages, how research is important and the PARADIGM, let's get busy!!! The next chapter of The ScreenWriter's Workbook by Syd Field is Chapter 4 FOUR PAGES, where I will outline and post for you. 
* Note, the notes that I post for you are MY notes from what I gather in the chapters that I read. I am missing some information but I outline what I think is important. Feel free to purchase the book yourself  to get ALL of the information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment